Sunday, January 5, 2014

SBCC Mimosa 2 - First Make of 2014


There's not a lot to add to my first go at the Mimosa, except that the ties are certainly more visible for this version on their own. The pattern is a winner, but since it's definitely distinctive, I'm afraid I will need to let it rest a while. At least with this one, it's a neutral that should go with many things in all seasons. The fabric is an ivory rayon "leftover" from the stash, with a slight "ribbed" texture, which you can sort of see in the pic below. I love this fabric, but it's so drapey that it wiggles something awful to sew with and it wrinkles as soon as you look at it. (Which is making me think ... hmmm ... maybe I need a third one after all, in a synthetic blend.) I started this one on Wednesday like I had planned but because I had to sew very slowly and carefully due to the fabric acting like it was cut on the bias all around, I didn't finish it until today. I'm glad I took my time though, because it did turn out to be a lovely blouse.


I cut the raglan shoulder dart with the exact alteration I showed a couple of posts ago and I'm happy to report that it's just right. No more poof ... even though it looks poofy here, but that's because Zillie is wearing a bra over shoulder pads to mimic my square shoulders and that combination creates dents.


I made a self-fabric bias facing for the back neckline, which turned out nicely despite the wiggly fabric. I hemmed the sleeves and bottom with a machine blind hem stitch, which photographs horribly as in the first pic above, but it looks smooth and nearly invisible in real life. I suppose I could've done the hems by hand, but they likely wouldn't have turned out any better.


Here's the sewing table after finishing today. I've got a bit of cleaning up to do and then I need to decide what's up next. I really want to sew a pattern from the stash, but there's another indie that's calling my name and it's really hard to tune it out. I'm trying to convince myself that instead of caving in right away, I'll "reward" myself with it after sewing at least two stashed patterns first.


Wish me luck on that, and have a great week! Right now, it's time for Downton Abbey!

16 comments:

  1. Your blouse is beautiful Debbie and I think it will be one of those garments you get a lot of wear out of. Thanks for posting about this pattern I am keen to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blouse, Debbie, such a pretty fabric, if unruly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really cute top. I may have to borrow the tie idea to use on one of my raglan sleeve top patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, what a classic and beautiful blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blouse looks beautiful. Very classy and immaculately sewn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blouse. This is such a nice pattern and in this fabric will go with lots of things. Beautifully sewn too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very smart blouse! I may NEED to get this pattern too!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it! this is a great version :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to purchase one of your patterns.
    How can I contact you? Do you have an email address?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know why you keep making these tops - they are gorgeous! I think you could make a third without the people at work being any wiser.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful classic top that will give miles of wear. Great job, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this blouse, feminine but not too fussy. Since white is the absence of color, I'd say go for a third. (Advice from someone with waaay too many white tops!)
    Mcdonna

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a Great looking top! Sleek and refined.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the top, too! Yes, we do need to get together to meet. I am still needing help with the FBA and if someone could show me how to actually thread my coverstitch portion of the Bernina, I might actually use it. I've been in a sewing slump for a while now though. I think the move, new job, and life has worn me out. But, it's a new year and a goal of mine to get back into the sewing room. I've been spending way too much time playing games on my IPad!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just catching up on my blog reading before the next instalment of Downton Abby and I just want to say I love the latest version of this pattern. Such an elegant rendition of a useful basic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie Cook, what in the world are you sewing down there???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.