Monday, August 5, 2013

Orange you glad to see me?

(My favorite knock-knock joke as a kid, so I couldn't resist.)

Since I'm not working, I decided to spend some time with some old friends in the sewing room today.

First up, my Viking 6010, which I dusted off and oiled, prepping her for some topstitching duty. Poor girl, I've neglected her for a year.


Next a TNT skirt, Burda 8623, which I've made numerous times. So nice to just cut and sew.


But, no, I couldn't just cut and sew. I had to change it up a little bit, by stealing the pockets from Simplicity 2152.


The front half is done. The pocket bands don't look so contrast-y in real life. Just pics playing tricks.


My 6010 never lets me down when using heavy thread for topstitching. Here, I'm using a salmon-y upholstery thread for both needle and bobbin, with a stitch length of 3.0.


Tomorrow, I'll be submitting resumes, inserting an invisible zip (can you believe I have one in the stash to match this fabric?), and then finishing up the skirt with a rayon lining.

19 comments:

  1. Why, yes, as a matter of fact, I am glad to see you! Loved your post's title.
    That's a very cute skirt you're making. And best of luck with freshening up your résumé.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the contrasting pocket bands. Cool detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cute and cheerful skirt! Good luck with the new batch of resumes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got that same machine from a friend. Although maybe mine is a 6010. I haven't gotten to use it though because they still have the foot pedal. I love that orange color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you had the matching zipper. I would have been disappointed otherwise, given the size of your stash. And yes, I too am glad to see you.

    And I can't wait to see the top that you're whipping up to go with this gorgeous skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the old machines - they do seem to handle all sorts of jobs. The skirt is looking lovely - pocket additions are great. Good luck with the resumes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great skirt - love what you have done with the pockets. Good luck with your job hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! Love the skirt, your addition of the pockets are genius, they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those topstitched pockets. That Viking is a beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute skirt, Debbie. I like the color and the pockets. Good luck with resumes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely! I'm a bit jealous of the super tidy top stitching. It looks really professional! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love orange, and the beautiful details really make the skirt. Good luck on your continuing job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Orange is a fantastic, hopeful color. Good luck on your resume stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great skirt. There's nothing like pulling just what you need from the stash.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, it is so great that you can "ketchup" with all those sewing projects... ;) Love the orange skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love to see what you are sewing. Good luck with the resume tweaking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That topstitching is perfect and love the orange. And of course I'm glad to see you! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like that skirt a lot. The color is perfect for you. Hope that resume pans out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking for your Ho Ho Ho blog hop? Can you help me find it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.