Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Day Off for Sewing

Just a quickie post before I start my work day.

The holiday yesterday was semi-productive but I got a later start than I wanted to so I didn't get to finish my top. I did, however, finish two purses. I did most of the sewing over the past weekend and only put the finishing touches on the bag on the left. I've decided I'm going to stop making/selling the purses once I'm out of supplies (which is maybe 8-10 more purses). No sense in throwing the supply money away or keeping the stuff in the stash. I can deal with that plan.


After packing up the purses for shipping, I turned my attention to Kwik Sew 3915, View B (the pink top). I bought the pattern mainly for the other view, but you all know how fickle inspiration can be. I used my TNT resized-smaller Ottobre tee for comparison and ended up tracing the Ottobre base with the KS neckline and neckband. I'll do the same thing when I make View A.


I really wanted to have this finished to possibly wear today and had enough "steam" to keep going, but not enough time. It was already after midnight before I knew it and I do need my beauty sleep. ;-) So tonight, I'll insert the sleeves, sew up the sideseams, change threads on the CS machine, and do the hems. I'm leaving work early today for a dental check-up, which should put me home earlier too.


I'm a little wary of the solid color. I don't do many solid color tops and I'm hoping this cotton/lycra fabric doesn't show the bumps I don't want on display. But it perfectly matches the skirt I want to wear it with, so I'm forging ahead.

Parting Shot: Hands up — how many of you have done this too?

17 comments:

  1. I've done it. In fact my pressing cloth for my press looks almost exactly like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabel's Daughter9:30 AM, July 05, 2012

    Who hasn't?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raising my hand. I see I'm in good company, however.
    Mermie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving that collar.

    That's why I have a separate interfacing-only press cloth. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too!

    I think the solid top will be great. Do show us a picture when you wear it, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The top is looking very nice and I also purchased the pattern for the other view but am leaning towards the view B now also.
    Yep: My hand is up! I have a separate interfacing only press cloth also, why? because it has interfacing on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL ~ That ---- and stuck it to my ironing board as well. I like the idea of an interfacing only press cloth! btw - love that green top. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. And let us not forget the interfacing on the bottom of the iron. Always a fun mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You probably already know this but table salt sprinkled on the ironing board and running the iron over it several times removes the adhesive while iron is still warm. Recently I had a stupid attack and cut fusible web rather than ltwt interfacing. When the iron hit it and it vanished, except for the adhesive residue I woke up! A little salt and ironing over it cleaned it right up! And I just bought the same KS pattern so am waiting to see how you like the pattern and is the band a pain to make on the green top?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny! Not only did I do that, but I did it on someone else's iron and board. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only once...so far ;-)

    I like that ruching on the band. Didn't notice that one before. Glad to see you sewing again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have done that more times than I care to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It never occurred to me to do this , I thought grading would be so complicated. So basically measure the difference in the sizes and re-draw ? I guess if you want to go down two sizes you have to do it twice ? cheap prom dresses

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.