Monday, December 5, 2011

More Cheap Clothes

I did another self-timer modeling session tonight to see my recent makes and purchases through the camera's eyes. Note to self: Don't take pics of snug skirts right after dinner and make sure you're not also hiking it up with your hands on your hips, cuz … OMG. So, with that said, forgive the tummy wrinkles and fat knees. I still have about 30-40 lbs to lose and I swear 95% of it is between crotch and kneecap. IOW, those damn thighs. ;-)

Here's the Vogue/Marci Tilton cardigan I whipped up today. Haha. Seriously though, it was a pretty quick project. The skirt should've been whipped up yesterday but I kept distracting myself and it took all day. The shell is covered with tiny clear sequins on the front. A Walmart purchase for about $10. I had to return the first one because it was too big. I love that. I'm usually pretty good at judging size by just holding up things, but it's a moving target these days. NOT complaining. I was also trying out two necklaces. I like the longer one with this. I may still return this shell because I'm not sure about the sequins for the office. They are not in your face, but there is some shine/sparkle. Then again, they do perk up an otherwise bland outfit. (Yes, I argue with myself like this all the time.)


Here's the back cut-out ruffle thing. I kind of like my top peeking out. It distracts from the knee fat. Well, except now you're looking at it, aren't you? ;-)


That's it for sewing. The rest of the pics are RTW. Gray skirt below from Walmart a few weeks ago. I really need to just go ahead and buy the smaller size of this and the black one while they're still available. They are cheap and I think I'll miss them. The cardigan and tee are from Beall's Friday night. I *love* this cardi. It's textural and has a very subtle gold metallic woven into it. It's also got an interesting raw-edged trim which doesn't really show up in these pics.


Tee alone. The grays aren't a 100% perfect match, but I think they're close enough. I never wear gray (even less than black), so this is a new color for me. I really like this top, though. The floral is lace over a solid ivory inner layer (bodice only). It was on clearance for about $12 and there were lots of them so I guess I'm the only one who liked it.


The cardi again with a plain sweater knit shell underneath, also from Beall's. They aren't the same brand but they match perfectly. Kismet.


The purple sweater (from Beall's) that I'm not sure about. I like the color. I love the black rosette humungo snaps. I'm not thrilled with the puffy, gathered sleevecaps. And again with the tummy wrinkles. Sheesh.


Cheap cotton tee from Walmart tonight. Like $7. The overall length and sleeves are too long, but I think I'm going to make it short-sleeved and see how much it shrinks in the wash before I hem it. It will be a good underlayer piece. It's also got subtle gold metallic threads knitted in, which you can see better in the pic one more down.



Another cheap Walmart tee, but this one fits better. Same brand, same size as the one above. Yeah, it's Walmart. What can you expect? Don't you love the boob tag still stuck on? The print is brown and beige and will work with my brown Magic Pencil skirt and the cardi above, as well as jeans. Not so much with the gray skirt, but I was being lazy at this point.


And last, a brown "tweed" turtleneck I couldn't resist even though we'll only have about 10 days I can wear it and not melt. It's velour rib knit and it is SO soft and comfy. And it was only $15. I don't think I'll wear this to the office, but then again, I might. It's nice to wear a turtleneck without 3 chins resting on it.


I don't expect the Walmart purchases to last beyond this season, but since I don't really want them to fit next winter, I'm OK with that. At some point, I'll get down to a size where I can do more "investment" shopping and sewing, but until then, I'll just keep faking it with disposables.

And one more — I made this Vogue cardi last year to wear at Parris Island for Tyler's graduation. I never modeled it then. Now, it's one of the few "old" things that still fits OK. It's tied kind of wonky in this pic, but you get the idea.


I wore the HECK out of last weekend at my Uncle's. And my sister put in an order. I told her I'd make it for her for Christmas but not to expect it BY Christmas.So now I need to find a color of Sophia knit that she'll like. And serger thread to match, since a wide serger overedge stitch is how I finished the edges.

19 comments:

  1. a note from a lurker to say you are looking fabulous. I love your hair. your sewing is inspirational. keep on going! Pxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that first cardigan. I want one! I second Pixie, you look great and I love the colour of your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it all and love the pics you put up for us.. thank you. you are looking great and will be dating some hunk in no time after the drama is over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your great new wardrobe! I bought the hoodie pattern-if you wore it to death and your sister wants one it has to be a wonderful wear. I love that Marci Tilton cardi a lot as well-hope it is available. Both will go on my someday I'll sew list. Thank you for showing us all the neat wardrobe shots. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really liked all your garments. I never see anything like what you purchased at Walmart! I need to try another one, we have 4 in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've confirmed that we are going to visit my inlaws in Florida this winter, and the part I'm most excited about? Going back to Beall's! There's no equivalent up here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cardigan you made, shown in the first pic, looks wonderful on you! And I love the gray tee... gray with your coloring is just right. And the brown turtleneck.. classy looking. What might the cardigan look like over the gray tee? Curious, but it looks like it might be a nice combo. Cardigan is black, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy are you having fun shopping for the new you! And I like the new pieces and the big confident smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb, what Vogue # is your cardigan? I think I have the same pattern, but I'm not entirely sure...You look great, and I love the way you've but everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the outfits! But you really should button the lilac cardi lower down. It's not very flattering with just one button at bust level closed ;) Maybe you could try underbust and one below?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand what you mean about puffy sleeve cap cardigans. I have broad shoulders and those drive me nuts. I have to say, I gasped (in a good way!) when I saw that last cardi on you. It looks fantastic and makes you look taller and thinner. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debbie, I love seeing all of your new outfits. You have been finding some great things at the store, too!

    I just saw someone link to this site that I thought you might be interested in since you just got your kindle: http://www.new-daily-free-ebooks.com/ I guess they post new free e-books for the Kindle everyday. I am not affiliated, but just happened to run across it. My DH LOVES his Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sequins, especially as subtle as the top you are wearing are totally acceptable in the office these days. Especially in December, though Alex (mine is female) has been wearing her gold on ivory sequin top for awhile now. She loves it and has gotten lots of compliments.
    You are looking marvelous. Keep up the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are looking fantastic! I love seeing your pics (knee fat & all). You are an inspiration to others with knee fat who want to lose weight! Alas though...my knee fat won't go when I'm thinner. C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the purple sweater! It really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What do you mean you are not exercising? You just tried on a bazillion outfits for us and you must have been sweating by the fifth change.
    Thank you for taking all the outfit photos. They are a good way to objectively rate the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All your outfits looks great, I really enjoy seeing what you have put together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not only do you have amazing sewing skills, but your shopping skills are outrageous as well. Seriously -- Walmart? Seven dollars? I can barely find SOCKS I like for seven dollars! I'm impressed! You look great and I love your Vogue cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Connie (Grandma C)3:23 PM, December 06, 2011

    Debbie,
    I can't say this enough "YOU LOOK FANTASTIC" I love the darker cardi with a lighter underlayer. It gives that vertical like that makes you look taller and thinner. But it's getting so you don't need to rely on optical tricks anymore, you are so much thinner. Too bad we can't get taller. I'm not overweight, I'm just undertall - I think that's a Garfield line isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.