Sunday, October 9, 2011

The I Love/IHC Skirt (Butterick 5574)

Yeah, so of course I have to eat my words now that I have made one Connie Crawford pattern with no significant alterations. (And sorry Grandma Connie — you know I love YOU!)


As you can see, it's finished. Sorry dissenters, this is my preferred hem length at the moment. :-) My thighs and knees are still chubby and I prefer to keep them under cover. As they slim down, my hems might rise. I added 4" to the bottom of the pattern pieces and cut off 1.5" and turned up a 1.5" hem. I think that means I added 2.5" in the end.

Here's a better shot of the pleats:


And my butt — I mean the back view. ;-)


And to dispel any thoughts otherwise, a pose that shows that while I'm definitely going down, I'm still plus size. The gut is taking the longest to disappear. Must do crunches. Must do crunches. (Hate crunches!)


This one has a lapped zipper, for something different, and a snap closure because I'm lazy. I also added elastic to the waistband instead of easing it to the skirt waist as the pattern directs. Right now, it stretches out flat when I wear it so it doesn't look elasticated. As I lose more belly, it should mean the skirt will still fit. I hope so, because I like the skirt. Worst case is redoing the waistband since I still have enough fabric left for that.


I'm having a brain fart and can't remember the name of this fabric. It's a stretch woven, fake suede-ish on the front side and satin-y on the back. Help, what's it called?? (Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Thank  you Joy and KC. Yes, moleskin.) I love the satin side because it means no lining is necessary. I've had this in the stash for at least 8 years. I also love the moss green color.


I started out my morning at the tire store, thinking I only needed the current tires rotated and a slow leak in one repaired. Nearly $400 later, I left with 2 new tires. But at least now I have 4 good tires on the car, having bought 2 others about a year ago.

After spending that money, I headed to Joann's to spend some more. (That's what paychecks are for, right?) I was only going for zippers, but saw that Simplicity were on sale for 99¢ each. I couldn't resist. There's also a Hot Patterns in this mix that arrived in yesterday's mail. I think I now have about 147 patterns on my "short list."


After grabbing patterns, I wandered over to the suiting fabrics and found lots. This is only a fraction of all that I really wanted to bring home. And that print? Does it have my name on it or what? Brown and green and teal (not turquoise as it looks here). I'm going to use it to make a cowl neck tee from morphing my TNT Ottobre pattern (hmmm I hope it's still TNT). I think I have the pattern done and I was going to just cut and sew tonight so I could wear both it and the new skirt tomorrow, but I came to my senses. I really need to muslin it first in case I goofed on the morph.


The solid brown and green fabrics above? Stretch bengaline! At Joann's! Yes, Belinda, really! All of the fabrics except the print will be skirts. I'm really into skirts and separates right now, in case you hadn't noticed. With these, my Fabric.com order arriving tomorrow, and a Fabric Mart purchase arriving soon after, I believe I'm now stocked on some office fabrics. Not that I'm going on a fabric diet or anything. ;-)

30 comments:

  1. I can't ever seem to sew clothing for myself. Serious envy here!!
    Skirt looks fab and your weight loss looks fab. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,

    I believe it could be stretch moleskin. Whaddyathink ?

    Joy
    (former Dover, FL gal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skirt looks fab. As do you!

    No idea about the fabric name - like the new fabric purchases

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and the skirt look great! It sure looks to me like moleskin, which I love working with and wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joann's! Stretch bengaline! You must be dreaming. :)

    Love the new skirt and outfit. I remember that fabric well from the 90's. (It's different than stretch moleskin.) I use to own some too but it's long gone, along with my memory on what it's called. But what's new. :)

    Btw, I'm loving how you post almost every day at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding: The fabric was one of the early microfibres. Now you've got me thinking about what it was called. It's going to bug me....

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this skirt! The pleats are so great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I remember correctly the fabric was called Chamois here in Australia. Does that ring bells, Belinda? Whatever it's called your skirt looks great, Debbie. The colour is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, the skirt turned out well. As usually, the fit is fab. Have fun working with all the new fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your skirtou is fantastic! Looks like a perfect fit and hemline wherever you like it is just fine. Oh, have fun with all those new fabrics and patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, I hate when I have to eat my words (guite regularly, it seems) but love how this skirt turned out for you. Great color, style and don't you love not having to line that moleskin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking good. The skirt fits beautifully. Isn't it easier to fit a skirt than pants?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy to see that you bought that print at Joann's! I bought it on Saturday and my 11 year old daughter told me it was "too busy!" You look great, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought that same print the other day at Joann's. I love all those colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just wanted to say that you are doing great on your weight loss! Your skirt look great, it's always nice when something fits without too many adjustments! Also, I *like* your skirt length!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The skirt looks great. And so does the length.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So you know I have no hopes of it working for me...now that it worked for you right out of the envelope! *LOL*

    You look great in it btw...another success to add to your sewing list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the moleskin skirt. I stay away from the pattern sales, because when push comes to shove, I still go to the favored patterns. There's something comforting about knowing how something is going to turn out without making test versions in advance. Call me boring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your skirt is fantastic! I love the green moleskin. That makes me remember I wanted a moleskin skirt this fall - another thing to add to my list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your skirts. And I think the length is perfect for you. Too short on us older ladies looks like we're trying to be younger than we are and can sometimes look a sorry sight. You look terrific in this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this skirt, and the back waist elastic.

    I'm most excited about the stretch bengaline at Jo-Ann's, I've been looking for it. Did they have a lot in stock? I am off to check JA online.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look great in your new skirt, Debbie. Great haul on the patterns and fabric. I wanted to make it to Joann's and Sears (new vacuum) but worked later and didn't feel like making the 45 minute drive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just found your blog last night and am a new follower. I think the skirt length is perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look great! Skirt turned out well. I too was at JoAnn's in my area today to get zippers also. I passed up the $.99 Simplicity. I may regret that later.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The skirt is terrific. The fit and length look perfect. The elastic is a good idea. Now I'm going to HAVE to get that pattern. I only have about 47 patterns on my short list. That means I can add 100 without guilt, right? You made a great haul at Jo's!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love that length, I think it looks good on you. On crunches, I work a machine at the gym that works the lower back (in isolation) don't know what it is called but I could never do crunches with a bad neck and I can do these. If you strengthen your lower back it is a lot easier to hold in your abs and everything else too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Connie (Grandma C)11:40 PM, October 12, 2011

    Love the skirt! You look great and the clothes are looking great also. Isn't it nice to get dressed like a grown up every day? I'm also glad the Connie's in your world are back on good terms LOL!
    I am lovin' the pattern and fabric haul. If you look back at what you've done since you've been back at work it is going to take a lot of shopping to keep the stash in good order. Darn! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. After reading your post, I set out to see if my Joann's had stretch bengaline. If they had it, I couldn't find it. Would you mind sharing what section you found it in? :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute skirt!
    I dont' like crunches either. What I was doing is every time I had to go upstairs for something, I got down on my bedroom floor and did a plank pose for 30 sec, gradually building up time. Not the fastest way to build abs, but it fits into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  30. spotted picture in Google, so followed the link. Well done, you look so good in your clothes, much-much nicer than lots of "fluffy" ladies in designers clothes. Or, which is worse, in baggy clothes from Primark. I was pleased to read few pages of your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.