Monday, September 5, 2011

Breaking the Labor Day Rule

Living in Florida where it's still summer on the thermometer long after Labor Day, I don't really pay much attention to the "no white after Labor Day" rule. Plus, I've really been missing this skirt in my casual wardrobe rotation, so it was time to refashion the refashion. In other words, chop it up again and make it smaller.

This time I had to remove the back pockets and flaps because I was taking it in so much that I would've ended up sewing through the middle of them otherwise, as you can see by the pocket "ghosts" below.


Here's the pockets sewn back on. Hopefully the "ghosts" will disappear after a couple of runs through the laundry and wearing. But, really, I don't care. I'm not looking back there and most tops I'm going to wear will cover up most of it anyway.


Here's the "new" skirt from the front:


And from the back. I also left a back slit this time, which should make getting in/out of cars a LOT easier. I made it on the snug side because it's stretch denim and will stretch, and I'm shrinking. This will be the last time I can re-make this skirt, since the sideseams are starting to slide to the back now. I'll be keeping my eyes open for some white denim for next year's skirt.


Parting Shot: Guess who's home for a week?

18 comments:

  1. Dang, you are just getting thinner all the time! Congrats on all your hard work and its results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOL'd when I saw where the pockets used to be. Yes, it's time for a new skirt.

    I think there is laundry in your future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on having to remake your remake :O). Thats wonderful and the remake remake looks good!

    Enjoy having your Marine home.

    Wanted to say thank you for all the great information about the cover stitch machines on your site. I am researching them now making my decisions on which I will get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that remake. Would love to pick your brain about the amazing shrinking Debbie. I found white denim with some stretch at Fabric Depot in Oregon. I made a white skirt too! Love it! g

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, it'll be sad to see the skirt go, but so good to see it leave, considering the circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your inspiring blog and your instructive tutorials. I am a beginning sewist and find them wonderful. Please thank your Marine for his service, too. Until it closed recently, I worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and several of us there read your blog! Ooh rah is right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great! I wore my white pants yesterday. I don't think I'll put them up just yet. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the amazing shrinking woman!! Enjoy having your son home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. With yesterday's jacket, it's a suit :-)! Pocket ghosts are a bitch, but you can pretend that displaced side seams are a feature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your weight loss. You look great and so does the white denim skirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the weight loss, you look so good and happy. Enjoy the week with your Marine and please tell him thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lookin' good as the incredible shrinking woman!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great save on the skirt, and amazing weight loss! Good for you, Debbie! Enjoy your week with Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are looking awesome :)) good job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a serious adjustment, amazing! Your new skirt looks great, enjoy wearing it before it is too big again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love what you did with the skirt! It and you look fantastic! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The skirt (and you) looks great! I never understood the dark colors for cold weather thing. That is when we need light colors the most!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.