Monday, August 15, 2011

More Tweaks


I've still got a couple of small tweaks to do to the pattern and I made some mistakes on this next muslin version because I was sewing too late, but I think I'll keep this one for me for now. Mistake #1 - that "OOO RAH" you see above? It's really sewn on upside-down. Grr. It's fine for wallet use, but for a photo it looked stupid so I Pshopped it 180.

Nothing remarkable about the back. It turned out fine.


Mistake #2 is on the inside here, but I'm not going to point it out. ;-)  I also found some forgotten FQs of more of this fabric. I really wanted this orange print as the main lining instead of the turquoise print from the prototype, so I was happy about finding more.


Here it is loaded up. The credit card slots on the left are much better now. At least that was one mistake I didn't repeat.


I even got some coins "in action" for the zipper pocket.


Also, about the magnet. I unscientifically tested it last night by seeing how much "attraction" there was between it, the fabric in the billfold section, and some metal objects. My test showed almost none, so my conclusion is that the fabric and interfacing layers are enough of a buffer to prevent problems between the magnet and the credit cards. But one can still always use Velcro in place of a magnetic snap. I just didn't want the Velcro riiiiiip sound every time I opened my wallet in a store. ;-)

So now I have to draw the pattern on the computer, write up some directions and take photos while making another. And then put it all together in a nice little PDF package. See you in about a month. Just kidding. But it will take me a couple of days or more, especially because I think I'm going to have a rush USMC purse order coming in tonight which will push the pattern down in the queue.

Thanks to all who volunteered for testing. I'll definitely want at least one novice stitcher to test my instructions and one experienced stitcher who will be able to spot any pattern flubs. I'll contact 2-3 peeps from the volunteers when the pattern is ready.

* * * * *

And, yes, I know I still have spices and a gift card to finish up. I've just got a bit of tunnel vision with the wallet at the moment. It won't be too much longer, I promise.

5 comments:

  1. I would love to get that pattern when it is ready. Could you perhaps tweak it for Air Force people?? I am an air force brat and wife now retired. I have an old name tag and a couple of other things I would love to use. Loved your bags but they are a little too big I think for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I'm still on board with pattern testing if you want me. I'm the kid at the front of the class with my hand waving in the air, ha.

    I think you could easily market this for the different sectors of the armed forces, no? I have no idea what the differences are between the branches as far as the size of the shirt embroidery and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not just use a regular snap instead of a magnetic one? Then you don't have to worry about demagnatizing your cards or listening to the velcro. These are very cool, I'd be happy to test or purchase the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie,
    My daughter Nicole has been testing patterns for a couple of years. She to is in the process of starting to sell patterns for sale. If you want her to test it, she will take lots of pictures and feature it on her blog when you are ready to put it up for sale. She's had lots of sucess for other pattern makers selling thier patterns for them by placing them on her blog. Here blog is http://www.coles-corner-and-creations.com/. Her email is colescreations at live dot com
    Good luck with your endeaver. I really think you could be sucessful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.