Monday, March 8, 2010

PSPS Teaser



Here's the completed collar and a preview of the fabric. It's beige linen with brown embroidery which I bought at Joann's a couple of years ago to make a skirt. So much for that plan since yesterday the fabric told me it wanted to be this top. Usually, I pick a pattern and have an idea of the fabric I'll be using. For this one, I didn't even look at fabric until I was ready to cut the real stuff.

I have some errands to do this afternoon so I don't know if I'll get it finished tonight or not. All that's left is to sew the sideseams, hem the sleeves and bottom, and buttons/buttonholes. I'm pretty sure I have brown buttons that will work. If not, it will sit until I find some.

I had an Anonymous comment on my last post:

"I had to make the same adjustments when I made this shirt. I made a wearable muslin, wore it but never got back to making the final garment. I was a bit peeved about the amt of work I had to do to make it wearable. I would've been better off drafting my own."

This confused me because I didn't make very many alterations to this pattern at all, and certainly nothing really outside my usuals. I added bust room, removed sleeve cap ease and narrowed the shoulders. Oh, and I blended to a bigger hip size (which incorporates the bigger waist/tummy size too), but I don't really even consider that a real alteration since I can easily do it as I trace/cut. So for alterations, I count 3 and that's it. And all of these were very minor changes compared to other patterns I've altered.

12 comments:

  1. Pretty fabric! I'm glad it exerted it's influence to become this top. I think it's going to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this fabric very much. This is something I would look at and never know what to do with, but when I see it made up into a garment I love it. I need to stretch myself a little with fabric selection. You'll get a lot of wear from this top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this fabric as a top! I'm glad I'm not the only person whose fabric demands to be things. I was able to sew a skirt this weekend for the first time in months! Spring clothing is great for a fresh attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sneak peek...the fabric looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three alterations is pretty minimal to me too, and the ones you made are pretty simple and easy. I'd be very happy with only 3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really do tease us, you bad girl, with your partiallly finished garments! Looking forward to the finished blouse. Maybe it will inspire me to make mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shirt . I used this fabric also from JoAnns for my dtr a light jacket and knickers. They look great, but the fabric is very hard and itchy. Please post if you have had a similar issue w/ the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabric. Looking forward to seeing finished shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to seeing the finished blouse. I have this fabric in my stash in another colorway. White and turquoise I think

    ReplyDelete
  10. As an added comment, I just altered a jacket and I made 8 alterations. I still have to decide if I want to add a sleeve vent, so that's another one, though do design changes count?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I think I had that fabric in white with black embroidery! I had planned a skirt too, don't have any idea where that fabric is now. :D

    I'm read for some pics, woman! Go up to the sewing room and get your dang camera!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shirt - looks great on you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.