Monday, December 1, 2008

TNT, or is it?



Today, TNT means not Tried-N-True, but Tried-N-Trash. I'm glad I used an unloved fabric for a muslin before committing to it.

The drawing of View C (tie front) looks cute, doesn't it? I thought so. But I didn't read the fine print mentioning that the neck edge was unfinished. With Views A and B, you can always add a binding for a finished edge. Not so easy with View C. Yes, it can be done if I round the corners of the ties and then bind everything all the way around, but I don't know if I want to be bothered. I'm just not feeling the love for this top right now. I'll let it sit on Zillie for a couple of days before I make a final decision.

It came out incredibly long. Like 8 inches or so. Easily fixed if I do decide to try it again.



Here's a close-up of the neckline. I didn't do the topstitching around the raw edges per the pattern, but it wouldn't make any difference. Raw edge is still raw edge.



Here's the neckline with the "ties" hanging. They aren't really ties though. Instead, the tails are slipped through a loop (also raw-edged) that's sewn into the yoke seam and just pulled into a tie-like shape.



Here's the top on me. The fit needs a little adjustment. The sleeves are too tight and I would prefer a little bit more ease throughout. But overall, not bad. Especially since I did not make any adjustments besides to blend between sizes. That's right. No FBA. The darts are even in the right place.

I also eliminated the CB seam for both speed and style. If possible (and it was with this), I prefer tees to be cut on the fold in the back.



I could fix this one into a PJ top if I rip the sideseams and overarm seams and sew them at 1/4" instead of 5/8" in the places that need more ease. I'm not sure if I'm going to be bothered though. But I might ... I don't have very many long-sleeved PJ tops and the temps are going to drop again at the end of the week. (Uh oh. It's the next morning and I'm already mellowing.)

Oh, one more thing I don't like about this pattern — it takes 2.5 yards of 60" fabric. The top front piece has the sleeve front attached and has to be laid out in such a way that it sucks up way too much fabric. The short-sleeve version would be much more economic.

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I have this pattern and was considering making it up soon. I was debating which view and now I think I'll do the one with the pleats. I hate fabric waste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost bought this pattern last week; glad I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked that view of the vogue pattern too. Can the tie/neck piece be faced somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came close to buying this pattern also. I am not a fan of unfinished edges either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The unfinished edges were an odd choice for the pattern drafters. Other than that, it looks really cute on you! But I agree about the issue of waste. I hate that! I'm a very economical cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thanks Debbie for the review. I have this pattern and had read the same thing on PR (I think?) and thought you could get around it by doubling the tie area...it's looking like that's not an option from your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just cut this exact pattern out last night. Talk about awkward layout. I think mine will be too long on me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On a positive note, the top looks much nicer on you than on Tillie! Good thing you had the "unloved" fabric to experiment on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a cute idea, but unhemmed edges on RTW are one of my pet peeves so the thought of doing it on purpose myself... I do like it better on you than on Tillie. I recently made a tee with cut-on sleeves- didn't like it at all. Next time I'll use the idea with a TNT (true not trash!) pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate it when high expectations for something are so rudely dashed. I also don't like fabric wasting patterns. I find myself obsessing as to how I could change it to work out better, where it would be really better to just toss and restart. Sorry this didn't work out to your satisfaction, although it doesn't look bad at all on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess I'm the odd ball here because I think it looks really cute on you. I can't really tell the edges are raw from the picture and I guess it wouldn't bother me that they were either unless they didn't wash and look well. I agree with what a couple others said and could you sew a lining piece to it so that they aren't raw or do a rolled hem on them to give them a finished look before you sewed the tie on. What size is it? You could send it my way. I'd wear it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the way it looks on you, better than on Zillie, but I can see why you don't love it. Maybe try it in another fabric and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting pattern, the way the tie is done and the neckline left unfinished. I've never noticed it before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I just tried to make the Mission jacket from The Sewing Workshop. And come to find out when I was almost done, there is NO way to hem the jacket without the wrong side showing on the shawl collar???? What??? I left it hanging in my sewing room for a month trying to figure out a solution and finally gave up and stuffed it in a bin where I couldn't see it. And those patterns are $$$$$. Live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I, too, almost bought this pattern, but didn't because I'm not a raw edge kind of gal. I considered taking a risk and buying it, but now I'm glad I didn't. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a shame they left the neck edge unfinished! What were they thinking?
    The shape is very pretty though, with the cut-on sleeve, and looks nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with Sandra--it looks cute on you! Europeans wear closr-fitting clothes and that my American eye is used to it, I like the fit of this top on you. It shows off your womanly curves. I like the unfinished edges too, they're soft and floppy on the tie. Vote: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its great , when you took the picture it doesnt give the top the pride that it should have , however when you wear the top it looks very rich and like something picked up in a top department store :) You made a great job on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The top looks great on you ... did you decide to wad it? The raw edge would bother me as well ... this may be a good pattern for onionskin fabric. To finish the tie edges, the sleeves would have to be doubled. I have quite a bit of lightweight knit/onionskin that I always put back on the shelf because it's too thin for a top, but would be perfect for this pattern. Imagine it faced with a contrast color, so it's seen when you tie the front? :).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you about the raw edges but think the top looks good on you. I made the other view with tucks at the neck and the fabric was so stretchy it wanted to grow right off my shoulders. I saved it by adding neck ribbing and a couple of button tabs at the neckline with cool buttons that echo the polka-dots in the fabric. My sleeves came out to be just below elbow length because my fabric was not wide enough to cut full-length ones. The sleeves do fit more closely than usual but the fabric is stretchy enough that was not a problem for me. I am tall, so the extra length was great for me, lol.

    Glenda in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bought this pattern as I was attracted to the green top. The green one looks like a top I saw in Macys or perhaps Target. Your review is helpful. I had not thought about making the tie top and will probably stay away from it for sure now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debbie debbie bo bebby bananafana fo febby fe fi fo febby....Debbie!

    Hope your holidays were smashing oh girlfriend of mine! Miss your blogging, snif snif.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I REALLY like it. I just think the sorta-squared-off tie is cute. But I would not accept an unfinished edge on the tie, either. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.