Thursday, April 24, 2008

Finally Some Progress



The jacket is coming along, although it looks like a mess in this pic. Look at that stray thread front and center — how did I not see that? And it's kinda just flung on Zillie for a quick photo session so it's hanging rather lopsided. Oh well. You can get the general idea. The fabric is brown RPL, some good stuff from Emma One Sock that had been aging in the stash for a while.

The side belt pieces are hanging down because I haven't yet attached the back belt piece to them. I played with the placement of the belt on my muslin and decided to put it a bit lower than the McCall's pattern shows because I think it's more flattering to me from the rear view. A higher belt makes me look short-waisted and all derrière. Well, more so than I actually am.

Tomorrow the lining goes in. I've decided not to line the sleeves, for a couple of reasons. First, I think it will be too hot. If the sleeves are unlined, at least they will breathe a bit even if the rest of the jacket doesn't. Second, I have exactly 2 yards left of the lining fabric if I don't cut sleeves, which means I can use it for a skirt or dress or something else that will go with this jacket. If I cut sleeves, I will essentially be left with a really big scrap. So I'll be lining just the jacket body and then overlocking the armsyce seam allowances. Sure, I could bind them and it would look pretty but I need to get this done and move on. I'll save the couture-type elements for another project.

Thanks for all the opinions about pantyhose. I think I'm in the majority with my thinking that they should be worn with pumps. Now to find a brand/size that I can live with. I seriously have not bought pantyhose in at least 10 years so I'm sure the options have changed.

A few of you asked where I bought the shoes. They are both from Zappos, and were under $70 per pair, which I thought was pretty reasonable. While I absolutely love how both of them look, I'm undecided about how they feel. I need to put them on and walk around the house for a while, but I can't sew with heels so I haven't done that yet.

11 comments:

  1. Debbie, your jacket is coming along nicely. I like the colour. I've been trying to email you all day but my emails are being rejected as some computer between you and me thinks I'm sending spam. :( Not that it matters as I didn't have much to say, but I wanted to let you know I've been waving to you all day. Hi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jacket looks great so far, I am with you on belt placement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jacket is looking good and just think how much nicer it will be than rtw since it is custom fit. This sewing thing makes one totally dissatisfied with rtw. After you use the rest of your fabric for the matching project if you have a little bit left you might be able to bind the armholes with a little piecing if you decide you want to at a later date. I like the idea for a summer jacket to unline the sleeves as my summer climate is hot as well. I never really thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jacket is going to be great - I can tell already. I like that color - even though I know it may not have photographed accurately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jacket is going to look great. I think that it is a color that will go well with a lot of the skirts in your wardrobe for a less formal look. Zappos is my own personal shoe store. I, and my dd have wide hard to fit feet and I can try as many shoes as I want and send back the rejects. That free shipping back a forth is wonderful.
    My dd needed very specific shoes for ds's wedding last year and we must have had 6 or 7 pairs of shoes here for her to try on. Fortunately one was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, the jacket looks great. I'm sure it will be perfect! Thanks for the info on the shoes. I was delighted to see that this brand came in wide widths! I have a very small, but very wide foot and even though I love beautiful shoes, it's very hard to find them to fit. I placed an order for a few pairs of 6W, and I was amazed that they shipped the same day, and will be here later this afternoon! It would be heaven to have found a good shoe source. Thanks, and best of luck to you with your interviews. I'm sure you'll do quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this color - it's a warm color. I've left jacket sleeves unlined, too, because of a lack of fabric, and it works out better in warm weather - which you have in abundance! Those nice little heels won't take much to get used to, but the closed toes might create a challenge for a sandals and flipflops kind of girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie - Hanes Silk Reflection are a great pair of stockings and they come in Queen size in a variety of colors/shades. That's what I wear for special occasions...otherwise DressBarn Women's makes another really nice pair in Queen size also. I think they have that chain in FL? Otherwise I will think more about pantyhose because I am really particular about them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your jacket looks great so far..I love the colour. Good idea on not lining the sleeves as it will make it that much more comfortable in warmer weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your jacket looks luscious, Debbie!!
    Warm greetings,
    Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, Debbie, Debbie, you do not want pantyhose, you want stay ups. I know, I was skeptical too, but even chubby thighs, and I'm speaking of my own, aren't strangled and the things stay up and your flower stays nicely aired! Plus you do not have to take them up and down all day as you visit the ladies. What's this about all the heat anyway isn't Fl airconditioned?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.