Sunday, March 9, 2008

Could Be a Blouse



I started doodling this BWOF blouse almost a month ago. I finally opened the file again and finished it this morning. It's printing as I type. I'm hoping to get the pattern taped together and a muslin cut today, but losing that hour last night feels more like I lost four and I'm already behind on my day so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that it will actually happen. I'll also need to reshape the collar to match the magazine pattern but I can do that manually at some point before I cut real fabric.

To refresh your memory, the blouse is this one, #108 from the 01/2008 issue of Burda WOF:



Here's the progression of my pattern. More details are in the February 14 post linked above.



I went to Joann's yesterday to pick up some thread. It's been a long time since I've been there alone or without anyone waiting in the car outside. I got my thread and then I wandered over to the pattern books to see if any Simplicity patterns caught my eye since they were still on sale. I ended up with these four:



I'll probably never make the Project Runway pattern (3530) but I wanted to look at the short sleeve pattern pieces since they caught my eye. 3684 is a multi-cup size bibbed-front blouse which may be Plan B if the self-draft above doesn't work out. 3874 has a cute jacket that looks like a fast sew to make a casual cover-up for the blast of A/C in stores and restaurants here during summer. And, finally, 4122 will make a perfect dog walking top. It's probably not going to be my most flattering style and if not, I won't be wearing it where I'll run into lots of people. But it looks so airy and cool that I'll trade fashion for comfort when it's 95 degrees and 400 percent humidity. The donkeys, goats and horses won't care what I'm wearing, especially if I bring carrots.

I also looked around at the fabric while I was there. It wasn't for lack of trying, but I came home with nothing. There wasn't one single bolt of anything that I wanted. In fact, there were lots of empty spaces on the shelves so maybe I missed all the good stuff. Yeah. Right. ;-) That's OK. I have plenty of fabric to keep me busy. Except I totally forgot one reason I went, which was to buy a bolt of muslin. ARghhhh. I really don't feel like going back today so I'll drag out something ugly to use in the interim and maybe try to make it to J's during the week when it's less busy.

Another blouse pattern on my radar is this McCall's 5522 I bought a month ago. I'm not sure if I'll make this actual pattern or morph my TNT self-drafted pattern so that it has the underbust gathers. For now, the pattern envelope will just be eye candy and a visual reminder of what I hope to make.

13 comments:

  1. I love that BWOF blouse and the simplicity 3874. I forgot I had that in my stash lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the BWOF blouse made up several times on PR and every time it was utterly adorable. I look forwarding to see what you do with yours.

    Charity

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking about this blouse too and I like your solution to the fba.
    You often think about problems differently than I do, so it is always good to see your approach to the same pattern. I am looking forward to seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm begging...did you see that begging...if that top works for you, can I get a copy of the pattern?! I will get you anything you want from the garment district in NYC...but girl we have got to talk!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie!! We've recently had a thread on PatternReview.com that's titled something like, "Why do you re-visit a certain blog often"...
    Well, I really ENJOY yours!! And, you post often--there's lots of news to catch up on.
    A fan of yours,
    Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I buy most every commercial pattern you make up and here are a bunch of new ones to salivate over. If I used them as opposed to collecting them, it would be a great thing. I liked what you said about using the pattern cover to remember what you wanted to make. As for visiting your blog, it is a must each day to see if anything new is up. If the same topic is there I read an archived post or tutorial.It is always inspirational and interesting to read here. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, thanks for posting the pic of McCalls 5522. I need to make a few blouses for work and since I loved the front, I checked out the pattern and lo and behold.....different cup sized pattern pieces! Whoo hoo! Yes, you know I'm not good at FBAs yet, so I'm all for cheatin' with help.

    - Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. That McCall's blouse looks just like Kwik Sew 3199!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like that BWOF blouse so I'm eagerly awaiting to see how it turns out.

    I sewed the McCall's 5522 blouse a few months ago - I purchased the pattern because of the underbust gathers...I'll be curious to hear your thoughts if you actually sew it. My blouse is unwearable - the sleeves don't fit right. I'm hoping I can remove them and save the top because I did such a fab job on the collar and collar band!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a really interesting take on drafting this design - and it should work very well. IOW, I think your plan of a back-up pattern is probably an exercise in owning more tissue - which we all do when it's so easy to get patterns at $1 and $2 on sale.
    I'm interested in seeing this blouse on you. Will you use a solid or a print?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I have the middle two. I never thought of morphing that one into the BWOF top! I'm so glad I keep you around. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Left JoAnn without buying what you went there for, eh? Of course, I never do that. ;-)

    I'm always amazed at how you can produce a duplicate of a pattern on PMB. My goal is to one day be able to do that, too. Can't wait to see the finished blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I copied a rtw blouse, got the "V" neckline perfect, but my sleeve doesn't fit my armhole, so I'll need to make another sleeve, that's my problem. Can you tell me how to draft a sleeve that will fit into an existing armhole?
    Would appreciate any suggestions
    Thanks
    Joanne
    rkiska2@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.