Monday, November 12, 2007

Butterick 5053 Pants (With a Side of Snark)



I reviewed the pants portion of this pattern on Pattern Review here, where you can read the details. The bottom line (no pun intended) is that it isn't a miracle pattern or anything close. It fits no better or worse than other pants patterns I've tried. But other than that, it's a really boring, frumpy style. Inseam pockets on plus-sized hips? Puh-lease! Tapered legs? Hello … 1985 called and they want their pants back.

Sorry, I'm being snarky but after a week of reading on that email list about how wonderful Connie Crawford's patterns are for plus-sizes and how all the other patterns are wrong, I was expecting (hoping for?) a little more. I mean I *am* the demographic body type she designs for. Or so she says. And says. And says. This lady certainly knows how to toot her own horn. ;-) Oops. Snarky again.

I like the drawings on her patterns and they are tempting. But the drawings are nothing like what you really get. And I just don't think CC knows what looks good on plus-sized women. I think she can make patterns large enough to fit well enough out of the envelope. But they do not flatter. Elbow-length short sleeves add width just where we don't need it. She says she makes her short sleeves longer to cover up the "unattractive" arms of larger women. Excuse me??

Baggy, undarted tops? Otherwise known as "How To Add 15 Lbs. in An Afternoon" and without the benefit of chocolate. A waist tuck on a boxy top is not the same thing as a bust dart, and the armhole will tell the truth. Now I'm just going by the photos on her website and on reviews on PR since I haven't actually tried the top from this pattern yet, but I'm really not holding out much hope. (If, however, I'm wrong about this top—and I will try it in muslin—I'll be the first to admit it.)

But really, look at this one. This lady is actually not very large under all that fabric but she's gained 40 lbs. just wearing this top. And this top is from Frumpville too. The chevroning is going in the wrong direction for someone with boobs and hips. The armhole is dropped and droopy, adding folds and width at the bust. And that straight hem makes it look like a maternity top. I'll snark on one more … this is the fashion drawing. This is the actual top. Notice any differences? Where is her waist? Her stance tells me she does have one. Well, at least she's covered up those unattractive arms. ;-) (These are all CC's garment photos on her website.)

CC is just not doing plus-sized women any favors. Her styles and her comments are reinforcing the tent effect many plus-sized women seem to gravitate towards in an effort to hide themselves. Instead, she should be designing and promoting more fitted styles which flatter so much better and encouraging her customers to stop hiding in those tents. And she shouldn't be telling us to cover up our arms. Unless we're cold. Hmprf.

21 comments:

  1. "1985 called and they want their pants back."

    Snort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and thank you again for trying this pattern and thank you for your comments. I bought this pattern just for the top but now....well...I have second thoughts about it. I am going to check out CC's website. Those pics of the clothes sure make those women look bigger than they really are. Debbie, your sewing blog is much appreciated!!
    Donna W
    Edmonton, Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh one more thing about those chevrons, can you elaborate more on which direction they should go? I was going to make one for my SWAP and all the ladies said to go up but they don't know I am a plus and from your comment I am assuming that makes a difference. I would like to hear more of your thoughts. Thanks
    Shorty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snark on girl, snark on. Those ensembles are a load of fug. I'm sure those ladies could look better with properly fitting clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...tell us how you really feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha! to be truly 1985's pants, you'd need to do them in a horrid neon or acid washed faux-denim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie! I am reprimanding you here and now!!!!

    I almost fell off my chair and spit coffee into my keyboard reading:

    "I'll snark on one more … this is the fashion drawing. This is the actual top. Notice any differences? Where is her waist? Her stance tells me she does have one. Well, at least she's covered up those unattractive arms."

    I traced the pants pattern last night. Now that I have read your review, I'll just do the 'knock knees' adjustment, straighten the legs and make them into the PJs as planned.
    I changed that silly front waist too, making it all elastic.

    And to think I purchased 4 patterns. Oh well, they'll go on the BAY.

    You certainly are 'fearless', thanks for taking the time to do these so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, You go, girl! I know when CC's pattern line came out everyone was singing its praises. I just didn't "see" it in the line drawings & after seeing it on her website, I knew her big-fit was no fit for me. Thanks for denouncing the emperor's clothes and telling it like it is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, I knew there was a reason that I did not fawn over the CC patterns when they first came out. You just confirmed what I've thought all along. Thanks for sharing. Major FRUMP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in complete agreement with you. I *do not* want to wear a tent - the drawings on the patterns are shapeless - not something a plus size girl such as me needs to put on. You have confirmed that I'll need to leave those patterns in the drawer - even if they are on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually gasped when I clicked on the first link you provided of the CC pattern made up, it was so very awful. I don't know why you would even bother making up the top at all, muslin or not. Thanks Deb, we all learned from you, which is one of the reasons we all keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great PSA today! Thanks. I didn't think much of CCs patterns when I first saw them, and now I know for sure that my gut was right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know exactly what you mean when you say Connie goes on and on about the failings of other patterns and hers are the rare few that are good because "she's worked in the industry." Do you really think that lady looks like she ONLY gained 40 lbs ? : )Give her something fitted that doesn't have room for three of her and she'll do much better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that was refreshing! I was amazed at the tooting of the horn going on and couldn't connect the pictures of the real outfits on her site with what she was saying. They did not agree! Frumptastic. Thanks for saving me money on patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh. Well, Debbie, I completely trust your opinion on these because I've seen your ability to make attractive, shapely, and flattering clothes. The CC patterns are like potatoe sacks. Ugh. Not only do they look frumpy but they make someone look 30 years older too.

    I've noticed that alot of the independent designers I've seen - don't ask me to name them offhand - are quite frumpy and plain. I saw some at SewExpo this year and I'd never in a million years wear them. Ugh.

    I say, stick with your TNTs, especially those Ottobre tops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and as I looked at those other garments, I could only hear Stacy London's voice in my head gasping.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie - you've done a real service here by reviewing these patterns - my goodness the sewn result pictures from web site are tent/rectangle frumped out messes. Has the woman never heard the word 'voluptuous'. Big women are beautiful and her pattern take on fit and style, I have to say, is just plain lazy. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Good review! I never sew for myself but I have done a couple of wedding dresses, and geez fitting "girls" is tricky business!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is so nice to have someone validate your feelings! I have always thought CC's patterns were sacks, couldn't understand the praise she gives herself {smile} or that others give her. I never got the nerve to try them, and Thank God I didn't. Thanks for trying them for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so glad to read that someone agrees with me about frumpy big clothes! I don't want to dress like I'm a teenager, but for crying out loud...I don't want to dress like an old frumpy lady either! Thanks for reviewing this pattern, and for your honesty. You rock!!

    Sandy in Maine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.