Saturday, June 16, 2007

Who's Been Drinking From MY Bowl?



Along with the three dogs, we also have a cat. Right before I took this pic this morning, I heard him scratching at the door from the garage to the kitchen. I let him in and he went over to the dog bowls as usual. Dani had followed me and is still fascinated by this creature who basically ignores her no matter how much she tries to beg for a new playmate.

Gizmo stays mainly outside by his own choice. Over the years, we've tried to get him to stay inside but he's 15 and by now quite set in his independent ways. We adopted him from a local horse ranch as a tiny kitten and I think his outdoors and barn roots were stronger than any bribes we offered. He doesn't stray far from the house and he'll come in to steal the dogs' water (see photo) or to "shortcut" from the garage to the back yard.

He's even gone on walks with us. Yep. He follows at a typical cat distance of about 15 yards and if you turn to look at him, he pretends he thought of the walk by himself as if to say, "What are YOU doing on MY walk." It's really quite funny. Except for the time we took the dogs (then only two of them) across the street and into a nearby neighborhood for a night time walk. When we had circled that neighborhood and were back at the entrance waiting for traffic to clear so we could cross back over to our side, there was Gizmo waiting for us at the entrance. Yep, unbeknownst to us, he had followed us down our long, dark driveway, and across the street to that neighborhood.



Dani eventually gave up hope that Gizmo would play with her and went and bothered Chili instead.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great photos and animal update. I really look forward to hearing about your pets
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor's cats in the Netherlands are the same way, they live outside in their sunset years. They also tag along on family walks with their 2 dogs out to a nearby dike (like a big park). The cats ignore our Pomeranian completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Debbie-- I love you "doggie blogs" because I have three dogs too. A small, grumpy maltese who is the leader of the pack, a neurotic 50 lbs pointer, and a Yorky/Peke puppy that's 4 months old. It's a zoo around here. So you can imagine my ???, I don't even know what word to use, when my son's dr. calls yesterday and tells me my son is allergic to DOG DANDER!!!!! WHAT????? It turns out it's a minor to moderate allergy (we have to talk to the allergist next week) so I don't think it will require drastic measure, but my first thought was it would be easier to give away my son than to find homes for my "special needs" dogs. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, your puppies are so cute! I love to see updates on them along with your wonderful sewing entries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.