Monday, February 19, 2007

Sometimes It's the Fabric


Here's muslin #2. Yep, still a "muslin" but this time only due to a poor fabric choice.

It think it looks pretty darn good on the dressform. But on me, not so much. The fabric is a poly "faux slinky" (for lack of a better description) without a lot of stretch/give and it accents every lump and bump because I cut it on the bias to get the chevron effects but with this fabric, there's less stretch on the bias than crossgrain. The top also wants to slide slightly upward at the bust like it doesn't fit even though I know in another knit it would be just fine. Again, the bias cut factor. There was a little voice whispering in my head about this fabric's stretch factor and I should've listened to it.

I love the striping detail and it was because of those knitted-in stripes that I decided to try this fabric. That, and the fact that it's been taking up far too much room in my stash for way too long. (See pic here, 4th shelf down on the far right.) I bought it from a co-op and this one was a miss instead of a hit. I still have nearly 3 yards left and I'm thinking an unfitted cardigan and shell will be a better use for this. Or the trash can.


Right now the bottom and sleeves aren't hemmed and the neckline isn't turned under. I think I'll spend 15 minutes finishing those details and send it to the donate pile. Then I'll try it again with a nicer knit. It's fast to cut out and sew now that I've got the details worked out.

Responding to comments:

Toya asked what I used to make the patterns. I use the Pattern Editor module of my Pattern Master Boutique software. Click here for more info on that.

* * *

Marji commented that maybe I should try one more paper trial of the twist because she didn't think my last pattern revision would work. The top two sections don't really twist around completely. It's more of an interlocking. If you follow the stripes in this version of the top, you should be able to see how that happens.

* * *

Others commented that it's fun (or informative or whatever) to follow along with me. Thank you, and I'm glad you think so. It's fun for me too. :-)

* * *

Also, thanks everyone for the nice comments about the party and our parenting. It's pretty easy to take the credit for being good parents when my kids are so great. So, anyone want some pizza? We have plenty. ;-)

12 comments:

  1. WOW Debbie...I love that fabric. Too bad it's not going to "work". I like the bias cuts and how the striping lies within the top.

    Canadian Bacon and black Olive, please...two slices....Washington State.

    It IS fun to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LURVE this top! Wow. Besides the cool twist on the front, the back looks fabulous! You are right: that striping effect is to die for.

    Pepperoni and black olive for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out really nice - I'm sorry that the fabric isn't going to let it work for you, but I'm sure that someone will love it. At least you know that your next one will be "the one!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks PERFECT to me Debbie, well done, well done.
    As for the 'sliding' upwards, maybe you will have to line the top with a fine knit?!? Yes?

    I have a twisted top RTW from a famous British store and the front is lined with the same fabric as the garment. Gives it more control even though the fabric itself is not particularly thin.

    Can't wait to see you try it again in one of your nice knits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, I just had an added thought...if you do decide to line for more control, maybe you could use the fabric on the straight grain to line (knit?) instead of the bias as the outer fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the software info and sorry the fabric didn't work out, I hate when than happens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, too bad, it looks fab on the dress form, very interesting use of the stripes. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks pretty good to me! You did a wonderful job! Excellent patternmaking skills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. too bad you dislike the fabric. the striping detail is super great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow and wow! Very nice, Debbie! The thing I like most is that peplum effect in the back. I can't wait to see the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This top looks great! Someone that gets it as a donation is gonna love it! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. too bad that fabric doesnt' work, 'cause the knit in stripes really work with the design.
    Here's hoping #3 will be the winner.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.