Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tutu, Revisited

The topstitching and serged seams are now all ripped out. I did that this afternoon and then I took the dogs for a walk to recharge my batteries. It's actually cold here today so the weather was perfect for that. While walking, I picked up "hitchhikers" all over my shoes and ankles. So after I was back in the house, I spent the next 30 minutes ripping *those* out. Seemed to be a theme today. ;-)

Below are two pics of the jacket before I took it apart (sloppily arranged on the dressform). The tutu effect is much more pronounced in the back view, and this is because the bias of the lining peplum is fighting with the bias of the jacket peplum. They're both cut with the same exact "grain" (bias angle), but they just don't want to play nice. There's plenty of length in the lining, so it's not that.





The pic below is after all the unstitching. The lining and jacket are pinned together at the sideseams but the lining is left hanging free at the bottom edge. Much, much better.


So tomorrow, I will baste it all together and check it again. If it works the way I think it will, I'll just hand-tack the lining hem in a few key spots. Ewwww. Handsewing. ;-) And by the time I'm done, the weather will probably be warm again.

The Nyquil is kicking in (yawn), so I'm off to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I hope it works! I can't wait to see the finished jacket! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.