Thursday, October 26, 2006

Throwing in the towel

Here's the latest and probably last photo of this top. This was before I ripped out and resewed the sleeves after narrowing the shoulders. There's an improvement but it's still not thrilling me. Too bad I spent all that time on embroidery and sparklies. Sigh.

I spent some mirror time today trying to figure out what I needed to do to fix this. I decided I can't. The biggest problem is the neckline and the second biggest is the collar. The neckline is too wide up at my front neck/shoulders. It fits fine at the back neck. The collar is too short and shallow. I even added 1-1/4" to the length of the collar before I cut it in this fabric. If I hadn't, it would've been sitting at my shoulder seams.



Look at the line drawing for the pattern. Pity there's no photo representation on a live human. The collar is much longer and the points are much deeper in the drawing than in reality. That's one of the reasons I liked this top. No wonder I'm not happy with this version. Since I can't add fabric at the neck, I don't think I'll ever be happy with how it looks, or feels, on me.

I do think I can fix the pattern though. I've got all the other fitting issues taken care of, so at this point I'd only have to redraw the neckline and collar. I may be ready to give up on this top, but I'm not ready to give up on the pattern yet.

6 comments:

  1. Deb, I hope you know you saved alot of us alot of time and grief. You did a fantastic job, but you cannot save this from what it really looks like - a cafeteria uniform top. There is nothing trendy or classic about this that would flatter any figure type. Thank you for sharing. I have this pattern and I will put it in the back of the closet where I won't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, I still think it looks cute, but if the collar bothers you (I agree it's not the same as the picture), what about removing it and leaving it collarless. You could maybe add something around the neckline, then (like embroidery, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you just have to call "uncle". You really have put a lot of time and effort but you are not getting happier. Maybe you can use the embroidered/sparkly parts in another project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, this is total "lunch lady." you have made many beautiful things....but not so much on this one. you gave it a valiant effort but i think it is time to pull the plug.
    mermaids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just hate it when a pattern gets the best of you. Could it just be the fabric color that makes this top look like a uniform? I admire your tenacity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, send a link to your blog and this pattern trial to the pattern company and let them see the design shortcomings.

    Is there any way to lower the waistline just a tad so that it doesn't sit on your natural waistline?

    Thanks ever so much for all the effort you have put into this and for reviewing it with us readers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.